May 5, 2017
Senior Lawyers Section
Seattle Airport Marriott,
July 14-15, 2017
Solo and Small Firm
May 11-13, 2017
Environmental and Land
Use Law Section
September 8, 2017
20th Annual Elder Law
Section Fall Conference
The Conference Center
June 9-11, 2017
Real Property, Probate
and Trust Section Midyear
The Marcus Whitman,
[Date to be determined]
24th Annual Criminal
Criminal Justice Training
June 23-25, 2017
Family Law Section
The Marcus Whitman,
AROUND THE STATE
respects individual rights, promotes the
exchange of ideas necessary for democracy, and provides the framework for a
stable social order. NWL
The author thanks Mike McKay, Sister
Maureen Newman, and Christine
Charbonneau for their interviews and
the information they graciously provided for this article.
PATRICK J. PRESTON
is a member of the
Seattle law firm McKay
Chadwell, PLLC. He
and companies for governmental
investigations and litigation. He also
serves as a volunteer at the Federal Civil
Rights Clinic. He can be reached at pjp@
mckay-chadwell.com or 206-233-2800.
The opinions expressed are those of the
author and do not necessarily reflect the
views of the firm, its clients, or the WSBA.
This article is for general information purposes and is not intended to be and should
not be taken as legal advice.
1. See “WTO: HistoryLink.org webcam of protests and a slideshow of each day (November
30-December 3, 1999), Seattle,” HistoryLink.
org ( http://www.historylink.org/File/7117);
Bob Young, City to pay $1 million to settle lawsuit over WTO arrests, The Seattle
Times (April 3, 2007) ( www.seattletimes.
2. Michael Elliott, “TIME’s Annual Journey:
1989,” Time, June 18, 2009.
3. Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989).
4. Id. at 439.
5. See 18 U.S.C. 700, et. seq., as amended by
Public Law 101-131 (103 Stat. 777) (1989).
6. “Protesters Defy New Anti-Desecration Law,
Burn Flags.” Times Wire Service (Oct. 29,
1989) ( http://articles.latimes.com/1989-10-
9. U.S. v. Haggerty, et al., 731 F. Supp. 415 (W.D.
10. U.S. v. Eichman, Oral Argument transcript
(May 14, 1990) ( https://www.oyez.org/
12. U.S. v. Eichman, 496 U.S. 310, 318-19 (1990).
13. Don Gonyea, “Trump’s Flag-Burning Tweet
Brings Back 1980s-Era Controversy.”
National Public Radio News (Nov. 29, 2016)
14. George Monbiot, “Backyard Terrorism: The
U.S. has been training terrorists at a camp
in Georgia for years – and it’s still at it.” The
Guardian (Oct. 29, 2001) ( www.theguard-