Resources in the Collapse or Sustainability
of Societies,” Ecological Economics, Vol. 101,
2. Ahmed, Nafeez, “NASA-funded Study: Industrial Civilisation Headed for ‘
Irreversible Collapse’?” www.theguardian.com/
nasa-civilisation-irreversible-collapse-study-scientists, March 26, 2014.
3. Williams, Althea and Sarah Ehrick, “
Escaping the Train to Auschwitz,” BBC News, www.
4. Holland, Tom, Rubicon, p. 307 (2003).
5. Goldsworthy, Adrian, Caesar, p. 394 (2006).
6. Id. at 451, 477.
7. Supra n. 4 at 346, 350.
8. Ipson, Israel,OralHistory (1991), www.ushmm.
9. “How a Family Escaped the Holocaust: Survivor Jay Ipson Shares a Story at RU,” Radford
University News and Events, www.radford.
html, April 16, 2014.
10. Scurr, Ruth, Fatal Purity: Robespierre and the
French Revolution, p. 44 (2006).
11. Id. at 244–245.
12. Id. at 284.
13. Id. at 328.
14. Linton, Dr. Marisa, “The Terror in the French
15. Supra n. 10 at 357–358.
16. Siebert, Al, Ph. D., “The Survivor Personality:
Why Some People Have a Better Chance of
Survival When Survival Is Necessary,” www.
17. Gibbon, Edward, The History of the Decline
and Fall of the Roman Empire, Vol. 4, www.
18. “Tribonian,” Wiley Online Library, The Encyclopedia of Ancient History, October 26,
19. “Roman Legal Tradition and the Compilation of Justinian,” The Robbins Collection,
University of California at Berkeley School
of Law, www.law.berkeley.edu/library/
WASHINGTON INJURY ATTORNEYS
5316 Orchard Street West
Tacoma, WA 98467
tel: (253) 472-6000
2025 First Avenue, Suite 1130
Seattle, WA 98121
tel: (206) 838-6000
John L. Messina
Stephen L. Bulzomi
John R. Christensen
Jeremy A. Johnston
James W. McCormick
Gemma N. Zanowski
Government Liability | MVA | Foster and Nursing Home Abuse | Product Liability | Traumatic Injuries
Has your injury
case fallen and
up? Contact the
attorneys at MBC.
We’re happy to
work with you
on your complex
cases to help get
your client the
Compassion. Community. Advocacy. Justice.
www.messinalaw.com toll free: (800) 992-9529
fax: (253) 475-7886
peror in the West submitted his crown
to the barbarian chieftain Odoacer,
Tribonian had the good luck to grow up
in the Eastern Roman Empire where he
was able to go to law school and become
an influential lawyer. His work was so
noteworthy that the Byzantine Emperor
Justinian I called on him to prepare a
new legal code for what was left of civilization. 17 Before his death at nearly 60,
he wrote the first-year textbook for the
law students of the day. 18 His impact on
the future European civilization that
arose from the ashes of ancient Rome is
still felt as the law code he drafted remains the foundation for the laws of all
the civil law nations of Western Europe
to this day. 19
The Human Spirit
There is no one characteristic we can
point to, whether in lawyers or the general public, that foretells a propensity
to survive a cataclysmic event. But if
we recognize that human civilization is
a fragile construction that has toppled
over in the past, we can investigate
the qualities of our ancestors who survived then. If we can find those traits
in ourselves, there is hope we can pull
through and help to rebuild society.
If there is one thing I have learned
from examining the apocalypses of our
past, it is that the human spirit does
find a way to overcome and to move forward toward a brighter future. NWL
is an at-
beloved Stanley Cup champion Los
Angeles Kings. He just started a new
job in Olympia and hopes to have
his first novel published by the turn
of the century. He can be reached at
1. Motesharrei, Safa, Jorge Rivas, and Eugenia Kalnay, “Human and Nature Dynamics
(HANDY): Modeling Inequality and Use of