Snohomish County Courthouse
The Snohomish County Courthouse, located at 3021 Wetmore in Everett, was built between 1909 and 1911 to replace an earlier build- ing destroyed by fire on Aug. 2, 1909. August Franklin Heide (1862– 1943), architect of the first courthouse, designed the new building in Spanish Mission style. Nearly a century of use took its toll. Two grants from the state Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation,
received in 2007 and 2009, allowed for roof, clock tower, window, and façade restoration. The courthouse is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Inside these walls a young county prosecutor, Henry M. “Scoop” Jackson
(1912–1983), solidified his career by winning a conviction of a double axe murderer in 1940. On the west lawn, Hollywood actress Veronica Lake (1922–1973)
encouraged citizens to buy war bonds during World War II. Visually-impaired Ale-jandro “Henry” Acebedo spent 25 years selling snacks from his shop tucked in an
alcove underneath the marble steps.
By the 1960s, Snohomish County was growing in population. Courtrooms
were crowded and additional office space was necessary. One desperate scheme
proposed erecting portables on the west lawn. In 1965, a new five-story wing was
underway. Construction ensued for the next two years and the new building was
dedicated on Aug. 21, 1967. Two towers were torn off the mission-style building
to connect it to the new courts building. NWL
Sources: Excerpted from essay #9975 on www.historylink.org. Additional research
resources can be found at www.historylink.org/index.cfm?displaypage=output.
Top: The mission-style 1911 Snohomish County Courthouse. Middle: View showing the 1967
annex. Bottom: Entrance detail of the annex.
Photos by Todd Timmcke.