Are You An
Effective Ally? KN O W L E D G E
1. True or False: Although women in America generally are paid 70 cents on the dollar compared to men, this
is not true for women lawyers, who are close in pay equity.
4. In civil cases, men are times more likely than
women to appear as lead counsel and to appear as
trial attorneys. In criminal cases, men are
times as likely to appear as trial attorneys.
5. True or False: Men who have stay-at-home
wives are more likely than men with working
wives to penalize their female coworkers,
denying them promotions and viewing them
6. True or False: Washington state leads the nation in the
number of female judges on our bench.
7. Name three ways to help women progress within your
8. What are your suggestions for how legal
employers should deal with the reality that
so many female attorneys are simply lazy
and take part-time assignments and work
schedules that require the rest of the firm
to carry them on their shoulders while they
ambivalently pursue careers half-heartedly?
2. Nationwide, in private law firms, what
percentage of attorney positions are held
3. What is the average percentage
of women equity shareholders
in private firms?
9. How can an attorney who witnesses another
attorney behaving like a chauvinist or
employing stereotypes address the conduct?
a) Pretend you did not hear it.
b) Scrutinize your iPhone with even more
c) Later take the attorney aside or call him or
her and express disapproval of the behavior.
d) Speak out immediately to disapprove and
end the behavior and make your disapproval
clear in front of everyone present.
e) File a Bar complaint.
10. The women attorneys that I have mentored
or supported are:
11. This year to help advance women in the law I resolve to: